Monday, May 19, 2008

The Lions Move North

For two weeks, I was a catsitter for my cousin's two cats, Kink and Simba. For this blog I'll refer to them as The Lions. They are brothers. They are cute and cuddly and large. 25 lbs each! Kink is the cuddler, Simba is the hunter.

Their parents are my cousin-in-law, Kate and cousin Kevin. They are temporarily moving to Alaska to fly people around, catch fish and dodge grizzlies. I've created this blog so KnK can check in on The Lions and see how they are doing.

Day 1: Upon first release into my home, The Lions get a good sniff of the place and find the darkest, snuggest corner to sequester themselves for comfort.

Day 2: I come home from work and The Lions are so well hidden I cannot find them. I decide to put food in the bowl per my cousin's strict diet regimen: feed them each 1/2 cup at 7am and 7pm. They come running.

Day 3: I cannot pry Kink off my lap. I think we might be going steady. I'm beginning to question Kink's sexuality. Jessamy is jealous of the cuddle time we spend together. I cannot pry Simba from the window. He wants to hunt the birdies in my backyard. It seems The Lions have adjusted.

Day 4: Josh, my roommate, unexpectedly discovers through 3,459 sneezes that he is allergic to The Lions. He loves cats, and was excited to pet and cuddle with them, but this new allergy is insurmountable. Not even the strongest generic Claritin knockoff antihistamine can curb his symptoms.

Day 5: Luckily, I am able to find new lion-sitters: Jessamy's parents!

Fast Forward to Day 14: With the approval of Kate, Jessamy and I deliver The Lions to their new temporary home in Bellingham. Jessamy's mother is a cat lover and sadly lost her own cat, who recently passed away after 48 years (this could be exaggerated) of meows. She will be an excellent lion-sitter. She will be emailing me updates and photos and I'll be posting them on this blog for all Lion Lovers to see.

No comments: